Saturday, August 28, 2010

Catching Up

Camping
We spent a few days camping with friends from church. We went to see the outside of a castle, mini-golfed, swam, walked, cooked out, tubed down the Mohican river.

Caleb, Lydia & JoAnna, outside the castle.

JoAnna doing what we enjoyed the most while camping...relaxing. Several years ago Chris brought this hammock home from Bolivia.

JoAnna's 9th Birthday
JoAnna with her Michigan/Michigan State cake

Cousin
Lydia spent 1 1/2 weeks in Michigan at my parents house. My mom taught her how to quilt. One of the best things Lydia was able to do is spend time with her little cousins. By the time we arrived Logan (6) and Brendon (3) were very much "in love" with their cousin Lydia.

Logan and Lydia falling backward into the pool.

Caleb's 16th Birthday
I'm not sure how it happened, but I now have a son who is 16 and legally able to drive. We have decided that he won't take driving lessons until next summer. He is carrying a large load in school this year. He is a sophomore and at the end of this year he will have 16 of the 21 necessary credits to graduate.

Bunny
One morning I found JoAnna and Tessa sitting in the front yard. JoAnna informed me that they were watching a bunny. Sweet.


Canning
I have never canned before, but for some reason this summer I have been driven to try. So far, I have canned 22 pints of pizza sauce, 5 pints of blackberry syrup, 6 pints of red raspberry syrup and 11 pints of strawberry syrup. I have also froze 30 pounds of blueberries, 6 dozen ears of corn and 1/2 bushel of peaches. I am also going to share in the purchasing of a cow...I will get 1/4 of it.






1 comment:

Laura Smith said...

Boy Dana, That's a lot of canning! Do you happen to have the recipes for the stuff you canned? I'm interested in trying them out!

I just froze about 15lbs of green beans, and we hope to get 1/2 of a grass fed Amish cow soon.

I'm really getting into the book Nourishing Traditions. Have you heard of it? I recently made some awesome cultured veggies, and I've been on a roll with homemade yogurt and kefir. If you know anything about kefir and are interested in some grains, let me know, I have plenty!