Friday, August 22, 2008

Fix-it Mom

One advantage of having a missionary airplane mechanic around the house is that if he doesn't know how to fix it he WILL figure out a way to do it. Now that Chris is gone I have had to learn a great deal about fixing the little things. I can't just leave things anymore...I must learn to do it or find someone who can. One thing in my favor is that I used to work in the hardware department at Sears. I learned a lot about tools. I read the tool catalogues...no, I'm not joking, I really did...and I asked a whole bunch of questions. (Does that sound like Chris or what??!!) Earlier this week Caleb was opening my desk drawer and he had to catch it because the screw had come out. After a few days of it occupying the top of my desk...which was really irritating me...I crawled under to have a look. I realized that the screw they used was way too short and it had stripped out the wood. I saw another hole in the bracket and decided to use a longer screw in a new location. I got out the drill and I did it!! I slid the drawer back into it's proper place and I now have my desk top back. It feels good to accomplish the little things--that I never knew I could do. Every little step I take I can't help but think of how proud Chris would be. I can see his crooked smile of approval and hear his laugh of joy at my accomplishment.

Today we worked on science experiments. Caleb and Lydia are learning about cohesion and adhesion. In the picture they are testing out the cohesion of water by trying to get 30 drops of water (a ml) on a penny...it worked. Then they put one drop less (29 drops) and then added a drop of soapy water (which has little cohesion). The water went all over the table. I love home schooling...I think I learn as much if not more than they do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dana, I am so proud of you.

Karen said...

Go Dana! I love working with tools and accomplishing home repairs. It's so rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,
What a pleasure to read your blog! What BEAUTIFUL children you have. It looks as if JoAnna is just about the same as out oldest, Chloe. Chloe turned seven on July 20th. :-)

Anonymous said...

You Go, Girl!!!