Saturday, August 2, 2008

JoAnna turns 7

What an eventful weekend and it's not even over yet!! Friday was JoAnna's 7th birthday. She wanted pancakes and raspberry syrup for breakfast. (On Wednesday JoAnna and I spent the day up in the Kidron area and one of our stops was the Smucker's store...where we bought the raspberry syrup.) She didn't want to have her birthday supper and cake until Saturday b/c Lydia would be home to share it with us. She really missed Lydia this week. Missing Lydia did not, however, change her desire to open presents on Friday afternoon.
I have to admit I missed her, too. We love to walk the puppies at night and enjoy the quiet to talk. It's a great time alone with her, she really opens up and shares so much. It's great exercise, also.

On Friday evening we went to the church for a camp out. It was a wonderful evening sharing with brothers and sisters in Christ. A guy from our church grew up in a family that sang together and they came to sing for us. They have a bluegrass, southern gospel style. I really liked the songs b/c they were filled with hope. Hope for our future as believers...what's waiting for us there. Caleb stayed at the church, but JoAnna and I came home to take care of the pups.

We left early this morning to fetch Lydia from camp. I pulled up and scanned the crowd and immediately found Lydia...she was the one bouncing up and down. That's so like Lydia.

We then went to the church for more fun. They had this plastic sheet on the hill...lots of water...lots of soap...you get the picture. Caleb had just come off the plastic and was sliding on the grass. The kids had a blast. JoAnna went down once and decided that was enough. They had a water balloon launcher and were trying to hit Pastor Cal with water balloons. Someone brought a cornhole game. The kids tried their hand at that, also. All in all it was a good morning. Caleb, Lydia and I all took naps this afternoon.

Tonight we celebrated JoAnna's birthday. She wanted the shells and cheese (made popular with the Abernethy children b/c it was one of daddy's favorites) and she helped make it. She chose a horse cake and even wanted to give the horses to Lydia...I think she really missed her sister this week.

Now all is settled down and quiet. As I reflect on the past 7 years of JoAnna's life I can't help but think of how different things could have been. If Dr. Prior had not been there my heart hurts thinking of the things Caleb and Lydia would have had to deal with. I thought about that often in those months following Chris' death...Caleb and Lydia would truly have been orphans. Then I think of God in His wonderful grace and how His hand reached down and guided the doctor to keep JoAnna and I here for His purposes. Every year I send a "Thank You for JoAnna's birthday" card to Dr. Prior, who stepped in and saved us. JoAnna means...God's gracious gift. That she truly is.

No comments: