Saturday, November 22, 2008

Skull Session

Today was a big day here is Ohio...the Ohio State vs Michigan game.  My friend Kristine and her daughter, Elizabeth are big Buckeye fans.  Well, as I reported in a previous blog my daughters and I are Wolverine fans.  Now, I must tell you that I don't follow sports or really even care...I just like to be an antagonist.  I am also proud of the state in which I was born...the only state that has a built in map on most every human body in the world.  So, buckeye fans, like it or not, you have a "little bit of Michigan" in you!!  : )  
Anyhow,  today Kristine and I took the girls to the Ohio State band skull session.  2 hours before each home game the band rehearses one last time before marching onto the field.  They invite the opposing team's band to join them and today we thought that the Michigan band would be there, so we went.  We drove an hour and a half to Columbus, fought traffic, walked through the crisp air, rushed half way around St. John arena, found seats and no sooner sat down when we heard them announce that the Michigan band only comes every 4 years.  We were all disappointed b/c we wanted it to be a fun day of rivalry.  JoAnna proudly carried her Michigan wolverine with her.  She would push it's hand and it would yell, "Go, Michigan!" and then play Hail to the Victors.  She held it up for the ladies in the line for the restroom and squeezed it's paw...it's a good thing she's cute.  
We left after the skull session and took the long way over to Easton and grabbed some lunch.  It was a great day to "just be out."  Everywhere we went people joked about the Ohio State fans hanging out with the Michigan fans.  
Seriously, I really do love Michigan.  I grew up in Muskegon, which is right on Lake Michigan.  I grew up swimming in that lake, camping on it's shores, watching the beautiful sunsets and enjoying the snow that it caused every winter.  I would love to move back home, but I believe the Lord still has a purpose for me here.  I will trust and obey my Lord...even in enemy territory.    

No comments: